Thursday, February 16, 2012

Just say "NO!" to Strangers!!

Our Mom always taught us to say, "No!" to strangers. "Don't take candy from strangers!  Don't get in the car with strangers! Stick with the buddy system!  If someone bad is trying to attack you, poke them in the eye or kick them in the family jewels!" True words.  Therefore, I was never a hitch hiker picker upper. (Reference T's last blog here) I was always terrified of what could happen. What would happen if I picked a stranger up? I'm not certain but I'm not going to find out, my good samaritan ways end at this subject.



In reality I am a big chicken.





We've all seen various fellow citizens standing on the side of the road, with their thumb in the air, but I for one am just too plain scared to pick them up! Yes I said it, scared! Chicken! Bok! Bok!  Scared of what they could do to me or my children. I know there are good people out there in the world, and you can't always judge a book by it's cover, but I try to err on the side of caution when it comes to this subject. The people I feel the most for though, are the mothers or ladies. But I have heard and read that a lady will stand on the side of the road looking for a ride and when some un-assuming soul pulls over to give her a lift, a man appears for a ride or worse. Sorry, I just can't get over my scary movie thoughts when it comes to this subject! Think about it people, they've even specifically made a horror movie called "The Hitchhiker!"

I think T must've gotten the part of her free spirit, hitchhiker picking up, from our Dad. Like she said, our parents were children of the 60's & 70's.  The best way to describe them is that they were hippies. Our Dad has thick, black curly hair and from the pictures I've seen when he was young it was always kept on the long side. Our Mom on the other hand, was (and is) beautiful. She was the Homecoming Queen in high school.  Surprise! She was a hippie too, she had long beautiful brown hair and her first car? A red Volkswagon beetle.



Our parents married young and had us when they were young. One of the first places they lived after marrying was Santa Rosa, and I've heard many stories. At first they were car-less and had to hitch-hike or get a ride with friends to get groceries, go to the laundry-mat etc. So I would have to agree with T.  The pay-it-forward approach is probably where our Dad was coming from giving hitch-hikers a ride when we were a bit older and they had a car. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he still gives hitchhikers a ride.

I've always been worried for T when I have heard the stories that she picked up a hitchhiker throughout the years and I am greatful that she has decided to reform her ways. I even recall asking her, "Are you crazy??!"  I know she has a big heart and that's why she does it.  But lets remind her ever so often, for her safety, that she should "Just say NO to strangers" shall we??

Embrace Your Sparkle,

B

AKA: The Chicken



Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I just have to say...I WAS NOT A HIPPIE!!! Just because I choose to wear my hair long does not a hippie make me!!! Just had to make that comment! I do know you think of scary movies too much and think all those dumb things people who write scripts think up are going to happen to you! But it's REAL life--not movie life! I love you more than these words can say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I forgot! THANK YOU for saying I'm beautiful. You are the sweetest! And you look like me too! So that means you are beautiful! I have thought so since the moment you were born! (That was at 2:52p by the way!)

    ReplyDelete