Thursday, February 16, 2012

Recovering Hitcher Picker Upper



It appears that I have had (past-tense) a problem with picking up hitch hikers.  I don't know why I feel so compelled to help them but, I do.  Growing up on the coast and in the 70's & 80's I guess the seed was planted early on to be a Hitcher picker upper.?  My Dad hitchhiked across the states, in an up and down fashion-like South to North, and North to South...he was a hippie sort of guy.  He had long hair, and looked stoned & 'far out man'.  So, he found his way around, when 'green' meant something other than money, and earth conscience.  I can remember picking up hitchhikers in the car, and they smelled.  I don't know why other than my Dad would tell me he was repaying the favor-like Paying it Forward I suppose. 

I became a driver at the age of 16, and if I'm going to be honest, I did pick up hitchhikers at that age.  (Our biggest fan -Mom- Will be angry to read that, but it's true.)  My best friend and I would cruise town, and during the summertime, we'd put so many miles going South to North, and North to South of town...Basically from Round Table to Gas n Grub.  There were times being on the coast with little public transportation available to get from point A to point B, and as the industry was changing...funds became more and more sparse - Hitchhiking was something that I would say was an accepted form of transportation.  So, I did pick a few people up, and no Mom not 'in' the car...they were in the back of the pick up.  At the time, it seemed fine...in retrospect, it doesn't. (Especially as a parent myself.) 

When I left our small town and ventured out into the big world I so eagerly wanted to explore...I still kept my small town heart of hearts.  I continued to pick up hitchhikers, and my husband at the time would be so incredibly upset with me, for fear of someone hurting me.  I can remember he and I had moved to a rural area, in the mountains.  There, there were lots of hitchhikers, for the same reasons that I had experienced as a teen- lack of money and public transportation options.  I picked up the most while I was on that mountain.  I got in trouble then too.  I would be traveling the road and pass someone with their thumb out, and they'd be lugging gallons of milk, cereal, apple juice, and I'd see their shoulders slump down after I passed.  As if they were so sad that I hadn't been the one to pick them up...I'd then go a few miles and turn around and pick them up.  This one time in particular I turned around, it was raining and sleet outside...near snow and this scroungy man was walking out on one of the roads that hardly anyone drives...carrying the gallons of milk, apple juice, and cereal...I turned around.  I had my children in the car, I was breaking my own rule...I usually NEVER let anyone in the car if my children were in there...But, it was going to snow-I made an exception.  I told them to quickly get in the back of the car, and to not talk to the man except to say hello if he addressed them, and if they had any questions to hold them until he got out of the car...I looked in the rear view mirror and they looked so scared to death that some stranger was getting into their car.  We teach our children about stranger danger, and don't talk to strangers...and here I'm going against what I've been trying to instill in them!
He got into the car and immediately the smell was overbearing!  God knows when he showered last.  I looked back at the kids, and their eyes when I thought they were big before, they were the size of dinner plates now...and making squishy faces from the odor.  Remember it was cold and near snow...and I had the heater blasting.  I made a comment that I was too warm and rolled the windows down, and turned off the heater.  He told me where he needed a ride to, and that he was grateful for me stopping.  He turned and saw the kids WAAAAAAAAAAAAAy in the back of the car (we had an Excursion), and he nodded to them and said "Hello, I think I have a child around one of your ages." He turned to face forward, and I made small talk to get through the miles.  He was kind and down on his luck...I kept glancing back in the rear view mirror and my oldest daughter was nearly ready to get sick in the back seat...only a few more miles. 


We made it and as soon as he got out and graciously thank me, I took out the Lysol Disinfectant and wiped the seat down...and quickly drove home...and let our hair blow in the wind...I told them that I was thankful for their manners, and that I was even more thankful Yaya hadn't blown...herself.!  Another time when I had the children, it was snowing and nobody can drive in the snow.  Cars are always criss cross on the roads and the roads close down...this time we went to the local grocery store and got some milk and necessitates...on our way back in our monstrous rig, a lady flagged us down.  She had a dog.  Snow was falling and I offered to give her a ride, but when she started to get in the car - she mentioned that the dog with her wasn't hers.  Oh you mean the pitbull you have there?  You want it to sit where exactly?


I had visions of what could happen with this stray dog in the front of my car...with a stranded lady...I drove WAY past my house to get her safely to hers...I kept in mind that if I could maintain my energies, I'd be okay.  Dogs can sense fear right?  I'm fine....Yah, I'm so fine. Keep your cool...It's only 10 miles out of your way...and God knows if the roads going to be shut down on your way back...but, this is a good deed and the right thing to do. Yes, I ended up escaping without incident, that time.  My kids read me the riot act when it was all said and done.  I wish I had thought to tell them I was testing them. ;)



Another time that I picked someone up, I was heading to the city and off of the mountain.  It was just me.  It was a million degrees outside and I passed this kid in his early 20's.  He was dressed as your typical hitchhiker murderer type.  He had a hooded black sweatshirt, and a backpack...thumb out ready for a lift and his next victim.  Yah, I turned around.  I pulled up and rolled the window down...I said listen...I'm a mother of five, open your backpack, and pull your pockets out, and if you're willing to sit on your hands the whole way, and you're not a killer, than I'll give you a ride.  Another priceless moment...I'm sure he was wondering if he should get into the car with me instead?...But, he did - I turned on the air conditioner, and gave him the third degree!  I'm fairly certain he was going to find reliable transportation, make things right with his parents, and make up with his girlfriend, before the next time he tried to hitchhike again!

Most recently I picked a hitchhiker up and this one was a doosey.  I was excited that I had Friday off from work, and my boyfriend was off from graveyard shift that morning.  We were going to go to the Farmers Market together, in the mid-morning...I headed to bring the kiddos to school.  I had enough time, so I stopped to get a cup of coffee.  The kids stayed in the car with the big kids...and I ran in.  While standing in line, I saw a lady crying.  I watched her and she ordered a cup of coffee...and she looked like a mess.  She stood to the side waiting for her order, and I ordered mine.  While I was standing there, I approached her and asked her if she was okay? Did she need any help?  She looked at me puzzled, and said she was graduating from a local school at 11 am that morning, and she needed to get home to get ready.  I told her "I wouldn't take her now, but if she could wait for 15 minutes, I'd return and give her a ride after I dropped off my children at school."  She said, "Okay".  When I pulled up after dropping the children off, she was in front of the coffee shop and now there was also a man standing with her.  She approached the car and asked if her fiance could also get a ride.  I remember thinking to myself, why didn't she mention him before, that's odd.  I said sure, but he needed to be in the front seat.  They hopped in the car and they gave me directions to where I needed to take them.  What I immediately noticed was that the odor they were emitting was that of LOTS of ALCOHOL!  I figured they must have gotten themselves in a situation and couldn't drive home, and now it's down to the wire and graduation was in a few hours.  Her tears must have been because of disappointment?  I dropped them off at their destination and they thanked me.  I then went back home and my boyfriend was ready to go to the Farmers Market.  Nearly after every shift (he's a police officer) I ask him if he's gotten any bad guys or gals.  Usually, the answer is no.  This time however he said the night before there was a domestic dispute and he was called to Main Street where a man was pulling the hair of the woman he was with, and slapping her, and they had physically gotten into it.  Uh Oh, as he was telling me the story...I asked him meekly, "What was she wearing?"  Immediately knowing me as he does he said, "Why?"  I said-Just answer the question.  What he then described to me was the couple that I had just given a ride to.  My face was a squincy again...and I really didn't want to tell him....But, I said-I just gave them a ride home....Oh, I don't think I'm ever going to hear the end of it...I have now sworn off being a Hitcher Picker Upper....for as long as I can.  It's been months...and I've not given anyone a ride.

Seriously, I'm thankful that I've never been hurt by someone that I've tried to help out...and I do know that it's not good for me to do that...it's not safe...and I want and need to be the model citizen for my children....


Love Deeply, Live Out Loud & Live your Dash,
T


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. You give people rides because of your heart...you see how they need it. But some day you will get your butt in trouble! And how will you explain that to your 'boyfriend' or your children? You will be in such bad trouble! Think about it...and I love you more than words can say!

    ReplyDelete