Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Mover & A Shaker!

T and I grew up in the same town our whole lives.  Since graduating high school, I can say that I have moved 9 times.  That is 9 times to different cities, not including a few different houses in a few of those places.  Maybe I am making up for lost time?  I have moved back to our hometown twice, for different reasons.  I feel that each move has helped me become who I am today.  I have been lucky enough to meet many different people along the way, many who I call my friends.  At one point, I was happy enough to live next door to my sister T.  I guess you can say I am a bit of A Mover & A Shaker!



My husbands career requires him to travel from project to project to make a living, so this will explain most of our moves.   I have traveled and moved with him to be together as much as possible.  In doing so, I try to look at each move as an opportunity and an eye opening experience, even if it is short term.  I have lived in places for as short as a few months, and the longest being 7.5 years.  My overall journeys have taken me living in a dorm, renting a room, living in an apartment, renting a house, and the longest consecutive time my husband and I lived in a travel trailer.  Yes friends, I have been trailer trash.  A little challenging with the closet space, but this might help explain a bit in one of our past blogs, about the storage unit with clothes and shoes.  At one point we were really trailer trash, because we also had our black lab Seville and her puppies living with us.  Don't feel bad for me!  Honestly we were able to travel more, snowboard more, go to more concerts, I probably bought more shoes than I would've, etc. etc.  We lived to the fullest in our home on wheels!  Some may think this was a silly move but it was a concious choice we made, and at some points living in our trailer, we still owned a home elsewhere. 




I have lived by the coast, in the mountains, in another state, in multiple trailer parks (my favorite one for 4 months in Santa Cruz), in a truck yard, and on a construction sight.  Many of the places have not been glamorous, some downright scary, and others amazing because I was able to learn how people live in different cities and towns.  Whenever possible, I would be happy jumping in the car for a day road trip to see what there was to see and to try a new restaurant, or bakery, or a taco truck along the way. 



Now that we have our family and our son has started school, I find that we have definitely slowed down.  We have been living in the same town for 2 years, in a home (not on wheels).  We have begun re-establishing ourselves in a community again, which has been nice.  We feel that is important for our children to have a sense of security where they live and to have familiarity.  For those who truly know us, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be shocked if I admitted I continue looking online at real estate in other areas, in our same area, in another state...Because yes my friends, I have become A Mover & A Shaker throughout the years.   A mover is self explanatory, but a shaker?  No, not a rump shaker!  Get your mind out of the gutter!  A shaker, because when you move like we have, it shakes things up until you find some normalcy again.  There is so much of the world to see, even just in the US.  I've seen some really beautiful countryside, eaten some really delicious food, and gone to some really cool places...But all of this wouldn't have been possible without being willing to accept a change, and making the best of it, and most importantly: the calmness of my husband who keeps me grounded and awakens my adventurous spirit. 

Embrace Your Sparkle,

B








 







Pin It

1 comment:

  1. You are a mover for sure B! and one of the first things you find in a new place are 1)the best cup of coffee and 2) the best places to shop! (and I don't mean groceries!) Now, I am grateful for your sense of adventure and your moving and shaking! I love you sooooo much! (You do occasionally shake your fanny! And it's a cute one at that!)

    ReplyDelete