Monday, February 13, 2012

Who Are You Calling Soccer Mom??

Wikipedia says the definition of a "Soccer Mom" is a middle-class suburban woman who spends a significant amount of her time transporting her school age children to their sporting events or other activities.  Before we had children, I used the term "Soccer Mom" with as much gusto as say, a four letter word, and I certainly didn't aspire to become one.   Back in the day, I would support T's older children in attending their sporting events whenever I could.  But I saw these ladies driving around in their mini vans, with ponytails, and three kids hanging off of their arm at any given time, toting oranges and fruit snacks for half time, and that was not going to be me.

I'd like to think that I've preserved myself after we became parents, and have continued my hobbies and my hair & nail appointments, my love for shopping, and baking but on the other hand...I have also become a "Soccer Mom" of sorts. (I know, I know, insert gasp here)  The funny thing is, I relish the days where I am transporting our oldest, our son, to his many sporting activities.  So far we have participated in soccer, baseball, tae-kwon-do, basketball, wrestling, swimming, and ATV riding.  We try to keep our son focused and help him to productively "harness his energy" as another parent so kindly put it, into a positive channel.  At the very least, we feel it is important for children to have the camaraderie of a sport, and to learn the many valuable lessons that come along with them such as friendships, winning & losing, etc. 

(I can't wait until our daughter has her own activities like gymnastics, dance, Girl Scouts, etc!  Things are no doubt going to get crazier at our house, but it will be exciting to see which activities she chooses and excels at!)

Yes, I admit I have sat there many a early mornings at soccer or baseball, depending on the season, freezing my bootie off  with a Starbucks in hand, wondering...whaaat am I doing here, brrr!?  But when you see the smile on your child's face when he or she kicks a goal, or hits a double, there's a sense of pride that rises up from your stomach and eventually lands on your face with a smile!  Believe me, I can relate with most Moms, I have also gotten the sport burnout.  This usually occurs towards the end of the season, when you just can't wait for a short break until the next activity...but it's all worth it.

One sport my husband wanted our son to participated in was wrestling, and to say the least I was not thrilled.  I told him, "Look, I can support baseball, soccer, basketball, etc but when it comes to finding a wrestling team it's all you buddy. "  All I could do was picture these boys rolling around on the mats in what I lovingly dubbed "tights".   Our Mom was a school bus driver (reference previous blogs), and I remember going on out of town sports trips with her.  It was a fun time for she and I to hang out and I usually got to be around cute older boys.  But what I really remember, is the high school wrestlers starving themselves until weigh ins, running around the track in garbage bags to sweat off the weight. As soon as they made weigh ins, they would pig out at a McDonald's, Taco Bell, or IHOP and start the whole process over again at the following meet.  No way was this going to be our son!

My husband was undergoing physical therapy for an injury about two years ago.  Coincidentally, the physical therapist was the coach for a school wrestling team nearby.  One day our son went with my husband to an appointment.  When the physical therapist saw our boy, he said "You look like a wrestler".  And it all began.  We were hooked driving to practice three days a week, and having meets Thursdays and sometimes Saturdays.  Committed much?  Absolutely.  Now what I will say about wrestling is that it holds each individual accountable for their own victories and defeats.  You are on a team, but since you are wrestling one other person at a time, the wrestlers win or lose on their own.  This has been interesting to watch and I have evolved into one of those Moms that sits on the mats cheering our son and teammates on during their matches. (I know those "tights" are called a Singlet and hold a purpose.  It doesn't make them any more attractive, but I can see the necessity.)

I can go on and on about how proud of a parent I am, and that I expect our son to put at least 100% into what sport he is playing but that could potentially bore a person.  What I can tell you is that time changes everything: including our goals, dreams, aspirations, fashion sense, our thighs, and most importantly realizing what is really important.  And I might ask you, "Who are you calling 'Soccer Mom'?? It's soccer, basketball, baseball, wrestling....Mom to you, thank you!"  I haven't given into a mini-van, but I do drive a large SUV that is also compared to a school bus by some...Boy, have things changed and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Embrace Your Sparkle,

B Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Yes, have things ever changed! But don't be surprised if that sweet little daughter of yours wants to be something her big brother is...like a baseball rather than a softball player, or what if it's a wrestler or boy scout? She may be following her brother, who she dearly loves, and paving her own path too! I know you will support whatever she decides to do! I love you and who you have become as a mother makes me proud!

    ReplyDelete