Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Will You Be Mine?

So B presented to me that she thought a Valentine's Day Blog would be good...after all it is Valentines Day.

I went with it and this is what I came up with...When I was a kid I carefully selected the cards so that boys or girls wouldn't get the wrong idea. I mean if the cute boy in class that you have a mad crush on gets the wrong one...or the weirdo boy gets the kind that should go to the cute boy...or what if a girl gets one and it's for a boy?...Do kids really think like this anymore?  My boys just want to sign their name & fugetaboutit...and go play.  I just remember that Valentines was a secretive way to express how you feel about someone...and the time that it took to make your little pouch/mailbox that everyone put 1 valentine in and possibly a pc. of candy...and then go home and spread out your loot, like it was Halloween and see if that someone special, thinks you're special too!? Oh, pahleeeease!  I hope I get a good one from so in so...Ugh! I don't mind if whats her face doesn't even give me one...she's so rude! Here are a few I found that resemble what I remember our cards to look like...
Does anyone even know what a Frigidaire is?  I know we had a one...and the brand name was Frigidaire...it was at the Chestnut Street house. Ooooo I'd like to defrost someone at my age now...but, when I was in second grade?  I was barely over the 'SCP' stage.  (Super Cootie Protection, for those of you who've forgotten.)


I look at these ones above and only wish my kids valentines were this cute!  I can't stand over half of the cartoons out there...and the ones they want are so U-G-L-Y...But, these times...these times are a changin'.
I also remember how I adored the Victorian style...still do.  I don't know what it is about them...they're absolutely beautiful and ...timeless.

Now the Valentine above...if the wrong boy got that one- WhooooW!  I'd of had to have both hands covered with 'SCP'.  I remember this one boy...got a Valentine from me, it was while I was at the Elementary School.  He chased me and chased me....I hid in the bathroom...Where was Yard Duty when I needed her.  I think Yard Duty was Mrs. Carr and she seemed so mean and unapproachable.  My Mom tells me she was nice.  I don't recall that feature in her personality.  Do you?

I'd like to think that the times we handmade the cards were because we wanted to...Well, I didn't want to all of the times we did...But, Mom was the boss.  But, we made many of our Valentine's Day cards...and still do to this day...and I carry from time to time the tradition on and I strongly believe that we parents have far too much fun making them, than our children do.  But, we've made some awesome ones over the years.  Next year is my year to make them, and I already can't wait!  I wonder if the boys will be as excited to do them as I am...Maybe I'll have to get Yaya to do them for her friends?  You're never too old to make them, receive them, or give them...Never!


Just like when you receive candy at Halloween, the candy on Valentine's was carefully divided, into categories.  Chocolate, Hard Candy, Suckers, Unknown, & Yucky were how I separated mine.  I wonder if I'm the only one who did that?  Or are there others out there...Just like how I eat my M&M's...by color and quantity...That's an entirely other blog...and the answer is yes, I can write an entire blog on M&M's.(and have...)

Then the BIG Honker for the teacher...the card that was the biggest...and very special...to give.  I can only remember one teacher who I'd of rather not given the card to, and she was my second grade teacher, who shall remain nameless...Mrs. Anderson. 


Then we got into the real romance...the days of Junior High and High School...when if you were really lucky you'd get a Valentine from a boyfriend...and there were dances to go to.  I don't think there are any of those either these days...I was recently talking to someone about how the courtship of our youth is getting lost.  How that I am appreciative that I had opportunities to hide in the corner with my group of friends, with that one ballsey girl who would go out and dance with a boy...and then we'd dance in a pack...and deny boys a dance from time to time.  Wait, I think that was mostly me.  (I was SO shy!)  Anyhow, how the social media and texting that our kids do...is slowly taking away our children's ability to communicate in a 'relationship'.  The very skills that we learn in our younger years helps us mold into the adults that we are, intermixed with what we've learned or observed with our parents, and close family.  So, I guess we'll have to take that subject up...a little later on too! (So much to write about.)  But, during the teen years...carnations were given, and the color indicated how the person who bought it for you felt about you. Example:  yellow = friendship, red = love, you get the picture...but, I remember it could be a secret way of showing someone you cared about them and to what level.  There was such a buzz going on, that day.  What fun it was to give and receive...I wish they'd bring that back.  Then there was the ____gram.  I don't remember what they were really called, someone out there will recall.  But, it was like a friendshipgram?  Or something?  But, those days although long gone...I loved them. Yes, I still have them...because I save too much stuff.  Will my children want to know what some boy said about me when I was 14?  I don't know, but they're hard to get rid of, not for the reason of keeping it because of the boy...But, I believe it's because it's a part of my growing up?  Again, something that I think our youth is lacking...today-Let's see if we can keep this part of growing up alive!

Here's my school where it all started...where the carnations were delivered into each classroom and the mumbles, and secretive talk would occur.  In Typing class (uh-huh, on a typewriter...or in DOS), in Art Class, in Woodshop, in Science, in English...One good thing was to work in the Office if you were so lucky and you were able to help the Student Body Class Officers deliver during that period. 


Oh the memories are just a flowing!  Then everyone would want to know who sent who, which color...In High School, there was the exchanges from your boyfriend or girlfriend that were far more serious.  Like promise rings, chocolate hearts, or some sort of token of their love and affection.  Black Hills Gold was VERY popular during those years, in our home town.  Do you remember Black Hills Gold? The necklace pendant below, is seriously an exact replica of one I received in High School.  I wonder if they still make it.

Laughing...Yes, I'm laughing because I remember & laughing because there was one on the Internet.

So, the deal with B was actually to use the letters of the word V-A-L-E-N-T-I-N-E and write something...I'm so off track, I hope you're able to stay on track with me...So, here it goes...my rendition that is.


is for Valentine, vacation (I want to go on one of these), vagina, vague, veil, vein, vain, Veloceraptor, ( I have boys what did you expect?), vaporize, (I wish I could vaporize some people), variety, vegetable (I should eat more of those), Velvet (the kids LOVE red velvet cake,) video (when I think of video, I think of VHS-When my kids think of video, they think of you tube), Volleyball (Yaya loves this game-Me, I just don't get it), Volume (turn it UP!), Vulva (Don't ask), V-Neck (should be extinct), Vulture.




is for Aerosmith (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLRLhV9U0kQ one of my favorite songs, not many either know or like it...but, this one time when I lived in SR, I dedicated it to B.  I remember, she hadn't heard of it either at the time-Do you remember B?), abbreviation (my name...is TC, but it is not an abbreviation), Abdomen (to me it's a funny word), Absent (my mind..and I'm not a professor), Acme (It reminds me of Wile E. Coyote), Adolescence (as much as I loved growing up...I wouldn't want to these days), African (I am in love with Lenny Kravitz, he is not African, he is American, but when I saw that word-I'm sorry I thought of Lenny. He's HOTT! African or not.), Air (is necessary), Allegedly (Allegedly, people read these things? Or B keeps reading them and not signing in and it's all of her traffic that's getting calculated?), Alligator (I don't want alligator skin, must remember to moisturize), Amoeba (kids playing soccer under the age of 7),


is for ladybugs (did you know they bite?), Love (I love, love), Lust, Lines, Lunar, Lava, Lint (Ew, I remember my Mom cleaning lint out of my belly button, really?  Was that necessary?), Lad (nobody in the US uses this word), Lass (see Lad), Lady (teach your girls to be a lady), Lifeguard (not this kind of lifeguard...Well, at least don't speak - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKUDRW9EA2c ), laugh, linger, lounge, Loopy, and Label

Einstein, ever, eat, egg, extra, eternity (I wanna love for eternity), engaged, each, eagle, ear, early, earthquake (California born and raised), eight (there are 8 in my immediate family), embarrassed (I get super red when I am embarrassed), epic (seems like a new word for the lingo of our youth. But, kids I'm here to tell you, epic is old, just like the music you like that is a new version of great songs of our youth), Erin Brockovich (good movie), and expiration.
No, note, numb, name (They mean so much-Tristesse and Bridgette), Narrow, Native, Notch, Nautical, Neck, Neighborhood (love my childhood neighborhood & think every single child should live in a great one to have the best memories!), nerve (some people get on my nerves, and I may only have 1 left!), net, newspaper (It seems like there are little to no newspaper readers in the world, sad truth), New, Nigeria (Yah, well it did make me think of Lenny Kravitz), Nothing (nothing to do with Nigeria = Lenny Kravitz, but, I did get to think of him.), Nitrous (sounds like a cool word...say it...wish it meant something else), Northern (I'm from No. Ca.), Nude, Nuts (the boys think it's cool to say 'tots' instead of nuts when referring to their manhood)

Trouble (B & I are double trouble), table, teenager, taco (I love tacos!), Tag (a game that EVERY child should play, win, and loose at...), Target (a staple in my shopping life), tank (Well, honestly the thought that crossed my mind was to admit that I've been tanked...so, since honesty goes a long way...there you have it), taxi, teacher (the very most important experiences you'll have other than with family and friends during your childhood, is with your teachers-respect them), Teletubbies (Yaya loved Po), tenderness (there's nothing compared to tenderness of another's love), Tesla (They opened up for Poison in 1988, when I saw them in concert-the lead singer wore see through pants...I could see his junk), Texas (is everything bigger in Texas?)


 Ice T (Little factoid:  I was Ice T and B was Dr. B, when we'd write notes back and forth at night in our room, when we were supposed to be sleeping.)  ICY (Charlie Paul used to think when the road sign read ICY ROAD AHEAD, he read it as icky road ahead-to this day, it still makes me smile), identity (Your identity can be stolen, it should be cherished, and is beautiful to watch unfold as you grow), Idol (I'm your next American Idol if it includes singing in the car or shower-I'm it!), illegal (It should be illegal to hate or forget about our youth), Imagination (one of the things that we adults seem to loose as we grow older, keep hold of your imagination folks...sometimes it's what can get you through the day.), intimate (Valentines should be shared with those who're most intimate with you and your heart), intense...and insect
No, I'm not going to to 'n' again-I've already done so with the previous 'n'...You guessed it, I'm a Taurus. There was a simple display of my stubborn side.


Well looky there...an 'e'...Hmm, it's been done also...I think it's a cute 'e'...So, what I'll leave you with this:

Will you be my Valentine? Would you be mine? Roses are Red....A token of my love....




My hope for you this Valentines is that you're smiling, in love with your life, in the arms of someone you love (your children, your lover, your family), in the warmth of your home, in candle light, in the lime light, giving and receiving...and loving every moment of this life...for today is a gift-Every day is a gift...letters or no letters...of the alphabet...if it helps you to find things to love than find your own letters...and write...be inspired to love.

Happy Valentines Day my Friends!  Happy Valentines Day Sister! Happy Valentines Day from the tallest mountain to the valley floors, over all of the oceans, and beyond the heavens...Now, go eat some chocolate!

Love Deeply, Live Out Loud & Live Your Dash,
T

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment